Re: Submitting Community Events

From: Ervin Weber <webervin(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy Group <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Submitting Community Events
Date: 2017-12-09 11:50:12
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Dec 7, 2017 03:43, "Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There is a new feature on the website available to event organizers on the
> event submission page[1]: the ability to submit your event as a community
> event!
>
> A community event is an event that adheres to the “Community Conference
> Recognition” guidelines[2]. If your event follows these guidelines, please
> check the “Community Event” when you submit your event. Upon selecting
> “Community Event,” a text box will appear asking you to describe why your
> event is a community event. Please do your best to reference the
> guidelines[2], which are linked to from the form. This process is supposed
> to be self-certifying: moderators will perform basic verification but will
> not reach out unless there are outstanding questions.
>
> "Community Events" are displayed in their own group on the website. We
> are working on adding a little badge next to the community events to
> highlight them!
>
> *If you have an upcoming event that is already approved and you believe it
> should be listed as a Community Event*, please send an email to
> webmaster(at)postgresql(dot)org explaining why it is a community event and a
> moderator will review.
>
> If you have any questions on the “Community Conference Recognition"[2]
> please send an email to webmaster(at)postgresql(dot)org and a moderator will
> gladly help you. Note that statements containing *must* indicates
> REQUIREMENT and ones with *should* indicates RECOMMENDATION per RFC
> 2119[3].
>
> Thanks - now please help us show off all of the great Postgres community
> activity occurring around the world!
>
> Jonathan
>
> [1] https://www.postgresql.org/account/events/new/
> [2] https://www.postgresql.org/community/recognition/#conferences
> [3] https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt

Hello,

Will it be possible to add local user-group meetups? If they do follow
guidelines of "Community Conference Recognition", but are organized by
"bunch of people, who are not registered as any kind of official
organisation"?

For example to Estonian group meetup yesterday came a person from
Lithuania, who came to Estonia and stayed in hotel just to get some extra
PostgreSQL time. If it would be possible to publish map/calendar of all
PostgreSQL meetups in some “central place” there would be more chances for
curious people find meetings nearby, and for small countries like mine it
would increase possible audience.

In attachment is IP-based map of registrations to our yesterday's meetup,
we did not plan to have anyone from outside of Estonia, so it come
unexpected, but to think about it – it is good argument for more
cross-border visibility as benefit for user groups in small countries.

Thanks,
Ervin.

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgug.ee-nr3-bycountry.png image/png 88.1 KB