Re: Compile 12.2 with specific OpenSSL libraries

From: Joshua Poehls <joshua(at)poehls(dot)me>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Compile 12.2 with specific OpenSSL libraries
Date: 2020-09-29 19:02:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks, Tom. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out!

I think I'm good now. I ran `readelf -d libpq.so | grep runpath` and I see
that the path I specified in --with-libraries is present (albeit after my
system path). It also appears the version I expected of libssl is being
used (libssl.so.1.1).

At this point I think it's fairly straightforward to set the rpath to lock
down the runtime linking as you mentioned. Thanks again!

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 1:33 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Joshua Poehls <joshua(at)poehls(dot)me> writes:
> > rpath and LD_LIBRARY_PATH are only relevant for the runtime
> > linking/resolution, right? My concern is that at *compilation time* the
> > wrong version of OpenSSL is being picked up.
>
> No; --with-libraries will control what's linked against. The problem
> you face is that the dynamic linker has its own idea of how to resolve
> the library references at runtime. (ldd just reports on what the
> dynamic linker would do; there's no trace in the executable file of
> exactly which copy of a shlib was linked against.)
>
> regards, tom lane

Joshua Poehls
joshua(at)poehls(dot)me