Re: How to detect if a postgresql gin index is bloated

From: khan Affan <bawag773(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Keith Fiske <keith(dot)fiske(at)crunchydata(dot)com>, "Wong, Kam Fook (TR Technology)" <kamfook(dot)wong(at)thomsonreuters(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to detect if a postgresql gin index is bloated
Date: 2024-07-26 10:49:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

The pgstattuple function provides the following useful columns:

- table_len: The length of the table.
- tuple_count: The number of tuples.
- tuple_len: The length of the tuples.
- dead_tuple_count: The number of dead tuples.
- dead_tuple_len: The length of dead tuples.
- free_space: The amount of free space.

Example

How you might use this function:

SELECT * FROM pgstattuple('gin_index_name');

Interpreting Results

- If the dead_tuple_count is high relative to the tuple_count, this
indicates bloat.
- If free_space is a significant portion of table_len, the index may be
bloated.

Using pg_trgm for Trigram Indexes

If you're using a GIN index with the pg_trgm extension (for trigram
indexes), you might also consider analyzing the table and index sizes
directly:

SELECT
pg_size_pretty(pg_relation_size('table_name')) AS table_size,
pg_size_pretty(pg_total_relation_size('table_name')) AS total_size,
pg_size_pretty(pg_relation_size('gin_index_name')) AS index_size;

Vacuum and Reindex

If you determine that your GIN index is bloated, you can use VACUUM and
REINDEX to reclaim space:

VACUUM ANALYZE your_table_name;
REINDEX INDEX your_gin_index_name;

By following these steps, you should be able to detect and address bloat in
your PostgreSQL GIN indexes effectively.