Re: Postmaster.pid - what do the various lines stand for?

From: Paul Linehan <linehanp(at)tcd(dot)ie>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postmaster.pid - what do the various lines stand for?
Date: 2015-05-05 13:39:11
Lists: pgsql-novice

>> what does the bit of the path inst/./data - I'm unclear as to what the .
>> (dot)
>> in the middle of that path means.

> . (Dot) means the same directory - self-referencing
> .. (Dot dot) means the parent directory

> Inst/./data == inst/data
> Inst/data/.. == inst

Yes, I'm fully aware of the . (dot) notation in Unix meaning the current
directory.

However, I'm confused as to why one would have a path

...../inst/./data

and not just simply use

...../inst/data ?

I've seen this when compiling MySQL and it's always puzzled me.

Thanks for your input so far.

Pól Ua Laoínecháin

--

linehanp(at)tcd(dot)ie