Preventing psql from attempting to access ~/.pgpass file.

From: Allan Kamau <kamauallan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Postgres General Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Preventing psql from attempting to access ~/.pgpass file.
Date: 2017-10-17 06:06:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I am executing many "COPY" commands via psql serially from a bash script
from a compute node that accesses a mounted home directory located on a
remote server.
After about a thousand or so executions of the "COPY" command I get the
error "psql: could not get home directory to locate password file".
for each subsequent attempt to connect to PostgreSQL using psql so as to
issue the next "COPY" command.

I have configured pg_hba.conf to trust connections coming from the specific
network which contains both the PostgreSQL server and the node which I am
executing the psql commands from.

Is there a way to instruct psql not to try reading ~/.pgpass file?

Both server and client (psql) are PostgreSQL 10.0 built from source, the OS
environment is Linux Centos 7.3.1611 (Core).

Allan.