Re: Delete trigger and data integrity

From: Alban Hertroys <haramrae(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Yvonne Zannoun <yvonne(dot)zannoun(at)snowflakesoftware(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Delete trigger and data integrity
Date: 2014-05-27 11:25:19
Lists: pgsql-general

On 27 May 2014 12:25, Yvonne Zannoun
<yvonne(dot)zannoun(at)snowflakesoftware(dot)com> wrote:
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION delete_records()
> RETURNS TRIGGER AS $$
> BEGIN
> delete from "TABLE";
> RETURN NEW;
> END;
> $$
> LANGUAGE plpgsql;

You can't return NEW in an ON DELETE trigger - there is no NEW record.
Since you're going with a STATEMENT trigger instead, that's not really
relevant anymore (no NEW _or_ OLD record, since statements aren't
necessarily involved with single records), but I thought I'd mention
that slight oversight ;)