Re: Apparent Problem With NULL in Restoring pg_dump

From: Alban Hertroys <haramrae(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Apparent Problem With NULL in Restoring pg_dump
Date: 2011-09-16 06:45:47
Lists: pgsql-general

On 16 September 2011 03:31, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> This is one of those things I find spreadsheets actually useful for. Do a
> COPY or
> /copy, in CSV format from the table and import it into a spreadsheet. I
> find the
> grid layout of a spreadsheet very useful in picking out misplaced fields.

Now that you mention it, it would probably be useful to have some kind of
syntax highlighting for different white-space characters (for example, a
background-color and a character; 'S' for space, 'T' for tab, 'C' for CR,
'L' for LF) for editors such as Vim and emacs.

It's not even a big step up from there to highlight odd and even columns in
tab-delimited, csv, etc. data with a different background-color or
some-such.

Perhaps this is what I described above:
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Working_with_CSV_files (for Vim, not emacs)