Re: poor pefrormance with regexp searches on large tables

From: Grzegorz Blinowski <g(dot)blinowski(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: poor pefrormance with regexp searches on large tables
Date: 2011-08-12 15:07:48
Lists: pgsql-performance

To summarize this thread:

We have tried most of the suggestions and found two of them effective:

1) collapsing OR expressions in the WHERE clause into one '(...)|(...)'
regexp resulted in about 60% better search time
2) changing long attribute storage to EXTERNAL gave 30% better search time
(but only on the first search - i.e. before data is cached)

Surprisingly, changing shared_mem from 24MB to 1 GB gave no apparent effect.

Thanks once again for all your help!!!

Regards,

Greg

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov