Logical replication very slow

From: Boris Sagadin <boris(at)infosplet(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Logical replication very slow
Date: 2019-02-25 06:52:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Doing an initial replica and trying to find a bottleneck, Ubuntu 16.04,
NVMe disks, PgSQL v10.7, AWS. With binary replication, DB is replicated at
good speed, around 500MB/s. Trying LR now for a big table (about 1.4TB with
2 indexes) and the speed is only about 2MB/s.

Checked disk util with iostat and only about 20% utilized on master, 15% on
target, CPU load on master is low. On slave I can see the "logical
replication worker" process is taking about 70% CPU time on a single core,
machine has 16 cores.

Is there a setting I am missing here? Any ideas appreciated.

Boris