Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE with _any_ constraint

From: Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE with _any_ constraint
Date: 2015-05-21 21:03:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 21 May 2015 21:15, "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> I would like to see this happen now before we get hit with usage
questions similar to OP's. If both requests cannot happen now, if we can at
least agree a path for future enhancement we can refer people to what will
happen in later releases when they ask.

FWIW as the OP I was merely asking for clarification as to why it was
required for UPDATE and not DO NOTHING.

The discussion has been enough to clarify for me: putting something along
the lines of what was discussed in this thread in the documentation
alongside the requirement would, IMO, be sufficient.

I'm not trying to suggest that I represent everyone and that the discussion
is over, but as you pointed at the OP I thought I should put in where I am
with this now.

Ta

Geoff