Re: The Contractor Conundrum

From: Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj>
To: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: The Contractor Conundrum
Date: 2017-04-26 15:33:45
Lists: pgsql-general

On 26 April 2017 at 15:45, Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> In summary, I can only advise that aspiring contractors find out as much
> about a system/schema/policies before commiting to a contract, no matter
> how much they offer to pay.

An interesting perspective, thanks.

From the other side, I'd be more inclined to say, be prepared to do what is
asked of you and no more, no matter how much the temptation would be to say
"but if you just...".

Contractors are treated with suspicion by perm staff, partly because of
financial jealousy (most salaried staff can't even dream of the sort of
rates contractors will command) but also because outsiders will often point
out previous poor work to the boss, often with no understanding of the
historical reasons behind it.

Trying to change people's attitudes, unless you're explicitly brought in
with that brief, is likely to provoke exactly that sort of negative
pushback, and does little but make your life harder.

​Geoff​