Re: diskspace

From: Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: diskspace
Date: 2013-02-06 11:12:46
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 6 February 2013 11:04, Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at> wrote:

> I doubt that PostgreSQL has substantially more disk overhead
> than other DBMS with comparable capabilities (comparison with
> flat files or MyISAM would be unfair).

You're right, of course; the same data on InnoDB works out if anything
slightly larger, as far as I can tell.

I wasn't (and I'm not) trying to do-down pgsql, just trying to figure out
if there's a way of cutting back on the extra space used. In this instance
it would be nice to be able to mark a table as WORM, for example, and
remove the need for any of this stuff. At least in MySQL I can specify
MyISAM for the table, since it rarely if ever needs updates and so there's
no requirement for MVCC.

Have you tried using pg_filedump
> (http://pgfoundry.org/frs/?group_id=1000541)
> to dump a page or two of your table and figure
> out what is where and where the space went?

I haven't; I will do for interest's sake, thanks for the suggestion.

Geoff