Re: Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading

From: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: stepan rutz <stepan(dot)rutz(at)gmx(dot)de>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading
Date: 2024-04-10 10:01:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 3 Apr 2024 at 23:50, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> I've pushed this after a good deal of cosmetic polishing -- for
> example, I spent some effort on making serializeAnalyzeReceive
> look as much like printtup as possible, in hopes of making it
> easier to keep the two functions in sync in future.

Upthread at [0], Stepan mentioned that we should default to SERIALIZE
when ANALYZE is enabled. I suspect a patch in that direction would
primarily contain updates in the test plan outputs, but I've not yet
worked on that.

Does anyone else have a strong opinion for or against adding SERIALIZE
to the default set of explain features enabled with ANALYZE?

I'll add this to "Decisions to Recheck Mid-Beta"-section if nobody has
a clear objection.

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent
Neon (https://neon.tech)