Re: Query performance issue

From: yudhi s <learnerdatabase99(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query performance issue
Date: 2024-10-17 06:27:24
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Oct 17, 2024 at 3:06 AM Peter J. Holzer <hjp-pgsql(at)hjp(dot)at> wrote:

> On 2024-10-16 23:20:36 +0530, yudhi s wrote:
> > Below is a query which is running for ~40 seconds.
> [...]
> > In the execution path below , the line number marked in bold are the top
> lines
> > for the IN and NOT IN subquery evaluation and they are showing "Actual
> time" as
> > Approx ~9 seconds and ~8 seconds and they seems to be summed up and the
> top
> > lines showing it to be ~19 seconds. Then onwards it keeps on increasing
> with
> > other "nested loop" joins.
> >
> > Note:- This query is running on a MYSQL 8.0 database. So I'm wondering
> if there
> > is any mysql list similar to Oracle list , in which i can share this
> issue?
>
> The execution plan looks like a postgresql execution plan, not a mysql
> execution plan. Did you run this query on postgresql? That may be
> interesting for comparison purposese, but ultimately it is useless: You
> won't get mysql to work like postgresql, and any tips to speed up this
> query on postgresql (which is all you can expect on a postgresql mailing
> list) probably won't work on mysql.

Agreed. Postgres and mysql may have differences in how the optimizer is
interpreting the stats and coming up with the execution oath. However, I
was looking if the query can be written efficiently by tweaking the current
logic. It's actually spending the majority of the time doing the "IN" and
"NOT IN" evaluation and in that it's using the same exact subquery for the
"UNION ALL" . And the overall execution time is summation of the IN and NOT
IN clause evaluation. So I was thinking of a better way of writing the
same logically.