Re: Streaming Replication Without Downtime

From: Venkata B Nagothi <nag1010(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Gabriel Ortiz Lour <ortiz(dot)admin(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Streaming Replication Without Downtime
Date: 2017-02-20 23:49:17
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 6:53 AM, Gabriel Ortiz Lour <ortiz(dot)admin(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Thanks for pointing out pg_basebackup
>
> The issue I'm facing now is about missing WAL files.
>
> What i'm doing:
> # su postgres -c 'pg_basebackup -D /var/lib/postgresql/9.1/main/ -x -h
> master -U sa_rep' ; service postgresql start
>
> The idea is to call "postgresql start" as soon as pg_basebackup ends.
> But I'm getting the following error:
>
> FATAL: could not receive data from WAL stream: FATAL: requested WAL
> segment XXXXXXX has already been removed
>
> Shoud I just increase 'wal_keep_segments' ?

Yes, that is the way to go. But, you need to know what number you need to
increase the wal_keep_segments to ?
Which purely depends on the number of WALs being generated. Which version
of PostgreSQL are you using by the way ?

> If I do so, do I need do restart the master or just a reload will do it?

No need to restart, "reload" will do.

Venkata B N
Database consultant