Re: Multiple Tablespaces with single mount point?

From: Venkata B Nagothi <nag1010(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Curious Tech <cutech777(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Multiple Tablespaces with single mount point?
Date: 2016-08-13 00:24:03
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 6:59 AM, Curious Tech <cutech777(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to know what is the general practice when only one mount point is
> available.
>
> 1. Use default tablespace
> 2. Use Default + User Define one tablespace
> 3. Use Default + User Defined Data + User Defined Index tablespaces

To make a decision on tablespaces, lot of factors need to be taken into
consideration. The general recommendation is to store tables and indexes
into separate tablespaces. Since you have only one mount point, based on
your database and application behaviour, it may or may not be much
beneficial from performance perspective. Below factors play an important
role -

- Memory, Number of CPU cores and type of the disks
- Concurrent connections and queries
- Application behaviour is vital. If you have too many concurrent
connections performing read/write operations on different
data sets at the same time, then, database tuning would not add much. It
is important that, the application connections are streamlined and
benchmarked
- If the database encounters high volume of transactions, then, pg_xlog on
a separate mount point would fetch lot of
performance benefits.

Hope that helps !

Regards,
Venkata B N