Re: migrate Sql Server database to PostgreSql

From: Venkata B Nagothi <nag1010(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PAWAN SHARMA <er(dot)pawanshr0963(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: migrate Sql Server database to PostgreSql
Date: 2017-01-19 04:29:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 6:17 AM, PAWAN SHARMA <er(dot)pawanshr0963(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am using postgres 9.5 enterprise edition.
>
> i want to to how to migrate Sql Server database to PostgreSql. what are
> the things required for migration and what are the cron and prons of
> migration.

Well, how challenging the migration is going to be purely depends on
complexity of the the database and the how the Applications. As far as i
know, there is no open-source tool available to migrate SQL Server database
to PostgreSQL. You can try "sqlserver2pgsql" which migrates does not
migrate procedures.

Overall with my experience, i can say, migrating application would be most
challenging part.

- Preliminary analysis on the database, its object types, data types and
code complexity of the procedures. T-SQL procedures will need to re-written
and they can in-turn trigger application code changes which can be
challenging.
Data types and procedures can pose real challenges while migrating
applications.
- If applications being used against SQL Server are proprietary, then, you
need to ensure they work with PostgreSQL.
- Evaluate the amount of Application code changes to be done, that will
give you an idea on how difficult migration will be.

Hope that helps !

Regards,

Venkata B N
Database Consultant