Re: 040_pg_createsubscriber.pl is slow and unstable (was Re: speed up a logical replica setup)

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, Shlok Kyal <shlok(dot)kyal(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: 040_pg_createsubscriber.pl is slow and unstable (was Re: speed up a logical replica setup)
Date: 2024-07-30 05:58:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 30, 2024 at 9:25 AM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 30, 2024 at 1:48 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> >
> > Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> >
> > > But that said, I see no commits in the commit history which purport to
> > > improve performance, so I guess the performance is probably still not
> > > what you want, though I am not clear on the details.
> >
> > My concern is described at [1]:

> > The followup discussion in that thread made it sound like there's
> > some fairly fundamental deficiency in how wait_for_end_recovery()
> > detects end-of-recovery. I'm not too conversant with the details
> > though, and it's possible that pg_createsubscriber is just falling
> > foul of a pre-existing infelicity.
> >
> > If the problem can be correctly described as "pg_createsubscriber
> > takes 10 seconds or so to detect end-of-stream",
> >

> The problem can be defined as: "pg_createsubscriber waits for an
> additional (new) WAL record to be generated on primary before it
> considers the standby is ready for becoming a subscriber". Now, on
> busy systems, this shouldn't be a problem but for idle systems, the
> time to detect end-of-stream can't be easily defined.

AFAIU, the server will emit running transactions WAL record at least
15 seconds. So the subscriber should not have to wait longer than 15
seconds. I understand that it would be a problem for tests, but will
it be a problem for end users? Sorry for repetition, if this has been
discussed.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat