Re: define PG_REPLSLOT_DIR

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bertrand Drouvot <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: define PG_REPLSLOT_DIR
Date: 2024-08-19 10:41:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 14, 2024 at 5:02 PM Bertrand Drouvot
<bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi hackers,
>
> while working on a replication slot tool (idea is to put it in contrib, not
> shared yet), I realized that "pg_replslot" is being used > 25 times in
> .c files.
>
> I think it would make sense to replace those occurrences with a $SUBJECT, attached
> a patch doing so.

Many of these places are slot specific directory/file names within
pg_replslot. I think we can further improve the code by creating macro
on the lines of LSN_FORMAT_ARGS
#define SLOT_DIRNAME_ARGS(slotname) (PG_REPLSLOT_DIR, slotname)
this way we "codify" method to construct the slot directory name
everywhere. We may add another macro
#define SLOT_DIRNAME_FORMAT "%s/%s" to further enforce the same. But
I didn't find similar LSN_FORMAT macro defined as "%X/%X". I don't
remember exactly why we didn't add it. May be because of trouble with
translations.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat