Re: meson and check-tests

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tristan Partin <tristan(at)partin(dot)io>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: meson and check-tests
Date: 2024-10-04 15:40:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Nazir,

On Thu, Sep 26, 2024 at 4:14 PM Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > Let's split the patch into two 1. supporting TESTS in meson only for
> > regress/regress, 2. extending that support to other suites. The first
> > patch will bring meson inline with make as far as running a subset of
> > regression tests is concerned and can be committed separately. We will
> > seek opinions on the second patch and commit it separately if it takes
> > time. It will be good to see the support for running a subset of
> > regression in meson ASAP so that developers can save time running
> > entire regression suite when not needed. The second one will be an
> > additional feature that can wait if it takes more time to add it to
> > both meson and make.
>
> I agree with you. I splitted the patch into two like you said.

Sorry for delay in reply.

--schedule or the test selection becomes part of the test command
itself in the current master. By passing it as an argument, in these
patches, we are allowing those to be overridden if TESTS is set at the
time of running the test. I like this idea. I was pondering whether we
really need two separate arguments --schedule and --tests
respectively. IIUC, we can't pass them as a single argument (say
--test-selection or --selection) because the subsequent --schedule
would be treated as a separate argument if not quoted correctly. That
isn't a problem with value of tests. To avoid quoting '--schedule
...', we have two separate arguments. Am I right?

It might be better to make this explicit in the code -- by making sure
that only one of them is passed and writing a comment about it.
ArgumentParser might have some trick to specify that passing both the
arguments is an error.

Also I don't think "Note that setup
# suite tests (at least tmp_install and initdb_cache tests) may need to be run
# before running these tests." is needed. This is true irrespective of
whether we specify TESTS or not.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat