Re: pgindent exit status if a file encounters an error

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgindent exit status if a file encounters an error
Date: 2024-06-28 12:35:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 26, 2024 at 8:54 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > The usage help mentions exit code 2 specifically while describing --check
> > option but it doesn't mention exit code 1. Neither does the README. So I
> > don't think we need to document exit code 3 anywhere. Please let me know
> if
> > you think otherwise.
>
> I think we should have at least a code comment summarizing the
> possible exit codes, along the lines of
>
> # Exit codes:
> # 0 -- all OK
> # 1 -- could not invoke pgindent, nothing done
> # 2 -- --check mode and at least one file requires changes
> # 3 -- pgindent failed on at least one file

Thanks. Here's a patch with these lines.

In an offline chat Andrew mentioned that he expects more changes in the
patch and he would take care of those. Will review and test his patch.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-pgindent-exit-status-on-error-20240628.patch text/x-patch 1.8 KB