Re: Backup and Restore of Partitioned Table in PG-15

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Gayatri Singh <gayatripremselvi(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers Owner <pgsql-hackers-owner(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Backup and Restore of Partitioned Table in PG-15
Date: 2024-06-18 08:55:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Gayatri,

On Sun, Jun 16, 2024 at 4:39 AM Gayatri Singh <gayatripremselvi(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> Greetings of the day!!
>
> We are planning to partition tables using pg_partman. Like we are planning
> for their backup and restoration process.
>
> Got a few URLs where pg_dump had issues while restoring some data that was
> lost.

This mailing list is for discussing development topics - bugs and features.
Please provide more details about the issues - URL where the issue is
reported, a reproducer etc. If the issues are already being discussed,
please participate in the relevant threads.

> kindly guide me the process or steps I need to follow for backing up
> partitioned tables correctly so that while restoration I don't face any
> issue.
>
> Another question, currently we are using pg_dump for database backup which
> locks tables and completely puts db transactions on hold. For this I want
> tables shouldnt get locked also the backup process should complete in less
> time.

These questions are appropriate for pgsql-general mailing list.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat