Autovacuum on Partitioned Tables

From: Ryan Ruenroeng <rruenroeng(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Autovacuum on Partitioned Tables
Date: 2022-10-31 22:26:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello there!

There is a statement in the Postgres Docs: "Partitioned tables are not
processed by autovacuum."

What does the above statement mean?
Does autovacuum not process both the parent and the child tables in a
partition relationship?

What is the definition of a partitioned table?

I have a table with 50+ million rows that gets data added to/wiped from it
every 90 days. We are planning to break this table into a few thousand
partitions. More partitions will likely be added in the future, but we
don't have plans to delete any of the partitions. Will we need to manually
track the statistics of these partitions and manually vacuum the tables or
will autovacuum help to manage them?

Best,
Ryan

Ryan N Ruenroeng (He/His)