Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded

From: Ranier Vilela <ranier(dot)vf(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)iki(dot)fi>
Subject: Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded
Date: 2023-06-05 17:05:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Em seg., 5 de jun. de 2023 às 13:42, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
escreveu:

> On Mon, Jun 5, 2023 at 01:26:00PM -0300, Ranier Vilela wrote:
> > On 05/06/2023 11:18, Tom Lane wrote:
> > > For the record, I think this will be a disaster. There is far too much
> > > code that will get broken, largely silently, and much of it is not
> > > under our control.
> >
> > I fully agreed with Tom.
> >
> > First, it is not clear what are the benefits of architecture change?
> >
> > Performance?
> >
> > Development becomes much more complicated and error-prone.
>
> I agree the costs of going threaded have been reduced with compiler and
> library improvements, but I don't know if they are reduced enough for
> the change to be a net benefit, except on Windows where the process
> creation overhead is high.

Yeah, but process creation, even on windows, is a tiny part of response
time.
SGDB has one connection per user, so one process or thread.

Unlike a webserver like Nginx, with hundreds of thousands connections.
For the record, Nginx is multithread and uses -Werror for default. (Make
all warnings into errors)

regards,
Ranier Vilela