Re: Big Performance drop of Exceptions in UDFs between V11.2 and 13.4

From: Ranier Vilela <ranier(dot)vf(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "ldh(at)laurent-hasson(dot)com" <ldh(at)laurent-hasson(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Big Performance drop of Exceptions in UDFs between V11.2 and 13.4
Date: 2021-08-29 18:20:28
Lists: pgsql-performance

Em dom., 29 de ago. de 2021 às 13:03, ldh(at)laurent-hasson(dot)com <
ldh(at)laurent-hasson(dot)com> escreveu:

> >Sure, there's no question that message translation will have *some* cost.
> >But on my machine it is an incremental tens-of-percent kind of cost,
> >and that is the result you're getting as well. So it's not very clear
> >where these factor-of-several-hundred differences are coming from.
> >A hypothesis that has not yet come up, may be some defect in the code
> generation,
> >by the previous msvc compiler used, because in all my tests I always use
> the latest version,
> >which has several corrections in the code generation part.

> Hello all,
>
> I don't think this reproduces the issue I experience. I saw a difference
> of around 500x! What you see is 5x, which according to Tom would be
> expected for an execution path involving exceptions. And NLS should have an
> impact as well since more work happens. From the numbers you published, I
> see 10-15% change which again would be expected?

Yes, It seems to me that is expected for NLS usage.

> I cannot think of anything that would be specific to me with regards to
> this scenario given that I have tried it in quite a few environments from
> plain stock installs. Until one of you is able to reproduce this, you may
> be chasing other issues.

I think I'm unable to reproduce the issue, because I didn't use any plain
stock installs.
Postgres env tests here, is a fresh build with the latest msvc.
I have no intention of repeating the issue, with something exactly the same
as your environment,
but with a very different environment.

Can you show the version of Postgres, at your Windows 10 env, who got this
result?
Planning Time: 0.171 ms
Execution Time: 88031.585 ms

regards,