Check if backup is in progress

From: sodik <stanislav(dot)miklik+pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Check if backup is in progress
Date: 2012-02-16 16:53:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

is there any way how to check that postgres 9.1 is currently in backup
mode?

Imagine the situation that my DB is running and the backup is remotely
started by

# select pg_start_backup('backup', true);

However the remote site crashed and can't stop the backup. Is there any way
how to check if something like it happen or somehow configure the timeout
for backup procedure?
Currently only solution that comes to my mind is to try to start another
backup, if this fails, I know that it is in progress.

Thanks
Stano