Re: Admin user issue: unable to login after changing password

From: desmodemone <desmodemone(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: sharon <sharon(at)erabyte(dot)it>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Admin user issue: unable to login after changing password
Date: 2014-02-05 09:53:58
Lists: pgsql-admin

2014-02-05 sharon <sharon(at)erabyte(dot)it>:

> Hi,
> I'm sorry, there was a typing error. I fixed pg_hba.conf with " host
> all postgres localhost trust ". I'm
> still unable to run pgadmin or psql.

> Thank you
>
> Sharon
>
> Il 05/02/2014 5.00, Payal Singh ha scritto:
>
> looks like you missed the 'type' value in pg_hba? the sequence is type,
> database, user, address, method
>
> See http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/auth-pg-hba-conf.html
>
> Payal Singh,
> Junior Database Administrator,
> OmniTI Computer Consulting Inc.
> Phone: 240.646.0770 x 253
>

> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 6:24 PM, <sharon(at)erabyte(dot)it> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> after fixing pg_hba.conf with host "all postgres
>> localhost trust" i started psql or pgadmin and i tryed to
>> log in but i still had to type a password.
>> After fixing the file .conf i restarted the service with no luck.
>> Any hint?
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Sharon

Hello sharon,
first : please use bottom
posting<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Bottom-posting>, so
it's more easy to read the mail history / thread from up to down.
Second: could you attach the pg_hba.conf ?
Third: how you connect to postgresql ?
Four: after modify the pg_hba.conf, did you reload or restart postgresql?

I explain: if you connect to "localhost" the rule

host all postgres localhost trust

make you enter in the database trough the 127.0.0.1 on 5432 ( I imagine you
have the default settings and the firewall with the open port or firewall
down ) without password

psql -U postgres -h localhost

will connect to database

if you not specified "locahost" the probably rule you will meet will be
about "local" connection :

local all all peer

that will make you enter without password, only if your OS account exists
in the database.

Bye

Mat