Re: pg_basebackup

From: desmodemone <desmodemone(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Murthy Nunna <mnunna(at)fnal(dot)gov>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_basebackup
Date: 2014-02-18 17:21:43
Lists: pgsql-admin

> All,
>

> I am looking for a script I can use to perform pg_basebackup.
>

> I want to take basebackup (zip and tar) and also capture all WALs
> generated during basebackup and append them to basebackup tar. I know I can
> use -X flag with -s or -f . Problem is with "f" flag sometimes I find that
> the WAL required is deleted (archived) as mine is a large database and also
> activity is high. And "s" flag is not supported with tar backup.
>

> I can record start time and end time of backup and go to my archive
> directory and append them to tar backup. But I am wondering if someone out
> there may be already doing this and willing to share the script (Unix/shell
> script please)
>

> Thanks,
>
> Murthy

Hello Murthy,
you have a lot of possibilities :
0) you could simple use more
wal_keep_segments<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/runtime-config-replication.html#GUC-WAL-KEEP-SEGMENTS>
so the wall will not disappear
1) switch from tar to plain mode and use -s method

other backup method :

0) create a async streaming replica and use snapshot on the standby side
1) pg-rman http://code.google.com/p/pg-rman/
2) barman http://www.pgbarman.org/

Bye

Mat Dba