Re: PITR

From: desmodemone <desmodemone(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Murthy Nunna <mnunna(at)fnal(dot)gov>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PITR
Date: 2014-02-22 16:33:32
Lists: pgsql-admin

> All,
>

> I am testing PITR.... I am looking for recovery.conf parameters where you
> can recovery the WALs available in the restore_command but do not complete
> recovery. I want to be able to connect to the database and check database
> in read only and if I am not there yet, I will feed more WALs in the
> archive directory and resume recovery. I would like to prevent multiple
> base restorations. I want to roll forward with WALs but check in between.
> Also, I do not want to set up replication standby.
>

> Is it possible? If so, could you tell me what are the relevant
> recovery.conf params?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Murthy

Hi Murthy,
look at parameter "pause_at_recovery_target" and
"recovery_target_time" with these parameters in the recovery.conf you could
reach a point in the timeline to recover the database and then see if it's
all ok and then finish the recovery with pg_xlog_replay_resume. If you want
instead continue the recovery you have to stop the backend and change the
parameter of recovery_target_time in the recovery.conf and restart the
postmaster.

Mat DBA