Re: pg_dump vs pg_basebackup

From: desmodemone <desmodemone(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>, postgres performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump vs pg_basebackup
Date: 2014-03-25 15:10:53
Lists: pgsql-performance

> On 03/25/2014 05:05 AM, Claudio Freire wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 4:39 AM, David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hai,

> Honestly,
>
> Neither is particularly good at backing up large databases. I would look
> into PITR with rsync.
>
> JD
>

> --
> Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/ 509-416-6579
> PostgreSQL Support, Training, Professional Services and Development
> High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC, @cmdpromptinc
> Political Correctness is for cowards.
>

> --

For large database it's possible also to consider , also, to change
database status in backup mode and after take a snapshoot and returning to
normal mode, saving also all archive after you finish the backup.

With that snapshoot you could easy mount it and restore on another machine
or open in readonly mode (hot standby and after do a logical dump ) , a lot
of storage have these capabilities and also filesystem or volume manager.

I think these is the fater option you have.

Mat Dba