Re: Security Definer functions no longer works in PG14+

From: Jobin Augustine <jobin(dot)augustine(at)percona(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Security Definer functions no longer works in PG14+
Date: 2022-05-08 07:03:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Amit,

Good to know that workaround helps your use case. But I am curious to know
> why you want to use Alter Subscription .. Refresh via function? The same
> restriction holds for Create/Drop Subscription as well but you don't seem
> to be using those via function.
>
> Yes, the workaround really helps to continue the operations as it was.
let me explain.

In a typical operations case, owner / someone with superuser privilege sets
up everything as part of the deployment and then hands over the day-to-day
operations of different teams who do 24x7 coverage.
Those teams in regular operations support won't be given superuser
privilege or owner account because of obvious reasons.
A function with "SECURITY DEFINER" is generally used as a method to hand
over only the required privilege just to refresh the subscription.

Thanks and Regards,
Jobin.