master slave failover - secondary slaves

From: Steven Livingstone <steven(at)livz(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: master slave failover - secondary slaves
Date: 2016-01-14 09:25:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all, I am relatively new to Postgres but after some some work
master/slave replication and failover working.

I can use a trigger file to promote my first slave to a new master but
where I am confused (from reading various docs) is quite how the second,
third and so on slaves know there is a new master and point to it for
replication etc.

One place says it should be automatic (I don't find that) and another
suggests you need to reconfigure each slave to point to the new Master (and
I guess restart each).

Can anyone clear this up?

Many Thanks,
steven