Re: [MASSMAIL]Re: pg_dumpall: could not connect to database: FATAL

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: Pepe TD Vo <pepevo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Shreeyansh Dba <shreeyansh2014(at)gmail(dot)com>, "gilberto(dot)castillo(at)etecsa(dot)cu" <gilberto(dot)castillo(at)etecsa(dot)cu>, Pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [MASSMAIL]Re: pg_dumpall: could not connect to database: FATAL
Date: 2019-02-26 20:55:05
Lists: pgsql-admin

Some random observations that may or may not be of use.

Are you making sure to reload PostgreSQL whenever you make a config change?

> I also found pg_hba.conf on both folders
> /var/lib/pgsql/11/data/pg_hba.conf & /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf). I
> modified it as above and the script is not working even run from the
> command prompt.

To find out which pg_hba.conf file your running database is using run:

show all;

Then search for hba_file or view directly by:

select setting from pg_settings where name = 'hba_file';

You can verify your pg_hba.conf settings with (as user postgres):

select * from pg_hba_file_rules ;

> # export HOSTNAME=hostname
> # export USERNAME=postgres
> # export DATABASE=postgres
> # export PORT 5432
> # pg_dump -v -p $PORT -U $USERNAME -d $DATABASE -f /tmp/postgresbakup.sql

Looks like you are missing the "=" between PORT and 5432

Cheers,
Steve