Re: Postgresql.conf file from like 7.x to 9.2

From: Tory M Blue <tmblue(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: sthomas(at)optionshouse(dot)com
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgresql.conf file from like 7.x to 9.2
Date: 2013-04-10 21:53:40
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Shaun Thomas <sthomas(at)optionshouse(dot)com>wrote:

> On 04/10/2013 04:25 PM, Tory M Blue wrote:
>
> Is there an easy/clean way to adapt my old config file to the new stuff,
>> I'm not sure what all has changed, so wondering if I just have to go
>> line by line and somehow consolidate old to new, area there any tools or
>> mechanism to do so?
>>

> Ehhh, at that point, it's probably best to just start over. we took the
> annotated postgresql.conf and reevaluated each setting and compared it to
> similar/same settings in our old config. Then we made a file of *just* the
> stuff we changed, and made that the postgresql.conf, and keep the annotated
> version around as defaults.conf to use as a reference. That makes it a lot
> easier to copy between versions or incorporate new/modified settings.
>
> Of course, all this will probably be moot when 9.3 comes out, as I believe
> it has the ability to include configuration fragments. Probably another
> good opportunity to clean up your configs.
>
> We jumped from 8.2 to 9.1 in a single upgrade, so while not quite as wide
> as going from 7.x to 9.2, you could probably benefit from a reeval.
>
> The fundamental settings are pretty much the same, so far as I know.
> Settings we always change:
>
> shared_buffers
> work_mem
> maintenance_work_mem
> default_statistics_target
> effective_cache_size
> random_page_cost
> archive_mode
> archive_command
> archive_timeout
> log_checkpoints
> log_min_duration_statement
>
> Settings we usually tweak:
>
> autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor
> autovacuum_analyze_scale_**factor
> autovacuum_freeze_max_age
>
> Settings that are new, and could assist in setting up streaming or backups:
>
> wal_level
> max_wal_senders
>
> People are getting more and more vocal about increasing cpu_tuple_cost, as
> the default is apparently too low in practice.
>
> Everything else? Salt to taste.
>
> --
> Shaun Thomas
>

> Thanks Shaun

Ya I actually didn't upgrade from 7 to 9 in one fell swoop, I've actually
been pretty good at staying up with the releases (thanks to slon), but I
realized the other day when i rolled a new 9.2.4 rpm that I just keep using
my old postgres config. Now I'm sure we modified it somewhat in 8, but that
was probably the last time. So a performance tuning and config file
cleansing is in order :)

Thanks again!
Tory