Re: checkpoints, proper config

From: Tory M Blue <tmblue(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: checkpoints, proper config
Date: 2015-12-10 20:58:17
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 12:00 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 12/10/2015 10:35 AM, Tory M Blue wrote:
>

>> Thiis valid regardless of the workload?
>>

> Yes.
>

> Seems that I would be storing a
>> ton of data and writing it once an hour, so would have potential perf
>> hits on the hour. I guess I'm not too up to date on the checkpoint
>> configuration.
>>

> No, that isn't how it works.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/wal-configuration.html

Thanks will give this a read and get my self up to snuff..

>> My settings on this particular DB
>>
>> fsync = off
>>

> This will cause data corruption in the event of improper shutdown.
>

>> #synchronous_commit = on
>>

> I would turn that off and turn fsync back on.

synchronous is commented out, is it on by default?

This is a slony slave node, so I'm not too worried about this particular
host losing it's data, thus fsync is off,

thanks again sir

Tory