Re: Index creation running now for 14 hours

From: Tory M Blue <tmblue(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Qingqing Zhou <zhouqq(dot)postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Igor Neyman <ineyman(at)perceptron(dot)com>, pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Index creation running now for 14 hours
Date: 2015-08-26 21:53:23
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 2:45 PM, Qingqing Zhou <zhouqq(dot)postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 1:26 PM, Tory M Blue <tmblue(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > Right now the 100% cpu process which is this index is only using 3.5GB
> > and has been for the last 15 hours
> >

> If 100% cpu, you can do 'sudo perf top' to see what the CPU is busy about.
>
> Regards,
> Qingqing

I appreciate the attempted help, but I know what it's doing, it's creating
indexes for the last 14+ hours. I've killed it now, as it was about to run
my machine out of disk space, stopped it at 97% full, could not go any
longer.

I will now clean up the table a bit but will still have 500million rows
with 6 indexes on it. I will create the indexes after the data is laid down
vs during, so it doesn't block my other table replications. I will then
fire off my index creations in parallel for my other tables so I can
actually use the hardware the DB is sitting on.

But I guess the answer is, no real way to tell what the box is doing when
it's creating an index. Yes there was a lock, no I could not find a way to
see how it's progressing so there was no way for me to gauge when it would
be done.

Thanks
Tory

Tory