Re: Is there a significant difference in Memory settings between 9.5 and 12

From: Tory M Blue <tmblue(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is there a significant difference in Memory settings between 9.5 and 12
Date: 2020-05-12 16:40:19
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 11:09 PM David G. Johnston <
david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Monday, May 11, 2020, David G. Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
>> Repost, edited subject by mistake...
>>
>> On Monday, May 11, 2020, Tory M Blue <tmblue(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>>
>>> And just to repeat. Same exact hardware, same kernel, nothing more than
>>> installing the latest postgres12, copying my config files from 9.5 to 12
>>> and running the pg_upgrade.
>>>

>> You’ll want to remove the pg_upgrade from the equation and try v12
>>

> Sorry...if you copied the config to v12 before the upgrade and the upgrade
> worked that suggests that v12 booted up at some point with the
> configuration, no? Does pg_upgrade do something special?
>
> David J

Not entirely sure I follow, and it may be that I confused the issue.

9.5 running for years, run the upgrade, and migrate my config files. 12
won't start without bumping the shared_buffers down.

12 won't start with "my" original config files.

I'm going to do native 9.5 and 12 installs on the same piece of hardware,
no data migration, no pg_upgrade just to see if I can get 12 to start with
my current configuration. I'll try your suggestions from last night as
well, see if setting via command line will give us more dataz.

Tory