Re: Unique UUID value - PostgreSQL 9.2

From: "drum(dot)lucas(at)gmail(dot)com" <drum(dot)lucas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Brent Wood <Brent(dot)Wood(at)niwa(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: James Keener <jim(at)jimkeener(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unique UUID value - PostgreSQL 9.2
Date: 2016-03-14 22:51:04
Lists: pgsql-general

On 15 March 2016 at 11:44, Brent Wood <Brent(dot)Wood(at)niwa(dot)co(dot)nz> wrote:

> Not best practice but perhaps viable...
>

> In the target table add a serial datatype column as part of the unique
> constraint.
>

> Do not populate this column explicitly on insert, but have the db do it
> for you. It will allocate an incremental (unique) value automatically on
> insert.
>

> But I think your problem is more fundamental - if you genuinely have
> duplicate values in a column - there should not be a unique constraint on
> it. If it should be unique, then you should modify your insert data.

I Can't modify my insert data, because there's a PHP RANDOM CODE that does
exactly what I wanna do with the SQL - It generates a random but unique
value for the column "code" - So the customer will be able to have
duplicates values on that column

Today the PHP is already generating for example:

code_321525694417ad6b5f

So that is linked to another table (I can do that manually no problem)

I just need to know how can I do all of this