Re: Need to omit time during weekends from age calculations

From: Sam Gendler <sgendler(at)ideasculptor(dot)com>
To: David Gauthier <davegauthierpg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Need to omit time during weekends from age calculations
Date: 2021-06-08 01:11:59
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 2:01 PM David Gauthier <davegauthierpg(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Thanks Joe. I think the nonweekendhours solution should be good enough
> for what I need.
>
> Yes, holidays too would be the best. But for practical purposes,
> excluding Sat&Sun is good enough for this particular problem.

I've solved this in the past with a time dimension table that includes
columns labeling weekends and holidays. Then I can query for the count of
intervals (for whatever interval size my time dimension uses) in the date
range joined to time_dimension where weekday is true and holiday is false,
and multiply the count by the number of hours in an interval.