Re: can postgres run well on NFS mounted partitions?

From: anj patnaik <patna73(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: can postgres run well on NFS mounted partitions?
Date: 2015-11-10 23:26:28
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks for the feedback. I have setup a second Linux VM (running RHEL 5.11)
and Postgres 9.4. I ran some insertions today from a client running on
Windows. The client does a loop of 30 updates.

I am seeing about 10-20% increase in latency in the case where DB is on NFS
(over TCP) compared to directly on disk.

The other machine I am using to compare is running RHEL 6.5 and Postgres
9.4.

Are there any specific tests that are recommended to test that postgres
over NFS works well?

I am planning on doing a few large data inserts and fetches.

With the little testing, the DB over NFS appears fine.

Thanks for any feedback.