Logical replication blocking alter/drop

From: Mark Fletcher <markf(at)corp(dot)groups(dot)io>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Logical replication blocking alter/drop
Date: 2017-12-12 22:36:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi All,

Postgres 9.6.5. We run several logical replication processes off our main
postgres server. What we've noticed is that schema changes seem to block
until we halt the logical replication processes. For example, I just did a
'DROP INDEX CONCURRENTLY' command, and it just sat there until I stopped
the logical replication processes (I did not have to drop the logical
replication slots).

Is this expected or are we perhaps doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Mark