Re: pg_dump with custom format without compression

From: Steven Chang <stevenchang1213(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thorsten Schöning <tschoening(at)am-soft(dot)de>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump with custom format without compression
Date: 2017-04-11 05:40:09
Lists: pgsql-admin

alternative :

tar
Output a tar-format archive suitable for input into
pg_restore.
The tar format is compatible with the directory format:
extracting a tar-format archive produces a valid
directory-format archive. However, the tar format does not
support compression. Also, when using tar format the relative
order of table data items cannot be changed during restore

example :
pg_dump -U postgres -h faiserver -F t -f aaa.tar -d warehouse_db

Actually, in my experience, compress would finish more quickly due to
much smaller disk consumption size under modern cpu model.

Steven4