Re: Extension to rewrite queries before execution

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extension to rewrite queries before execution
Date: 2015-08-14 06:04:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Le 13 août 2015 9:51 PM, "Jeff Janes" <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> a écrit :

> I am looking for an extension or a technique that will allow me to
intercept a query by the exact query text, and replace that query with a
different one.

> The context is running a third-party app which issues queries I have no
control over. I'd like to intercept a specific query (which has no bind
parameters) and either replace the query text with a different text which,
for example, swaps out an "in list" clause to instead be an "exists
(subquery)".

> Or just wrap the query in a "set enable_* =off;" or "set work_mem=*;"
before and a reset of it after.

> Is there anything out there like this? This would be for 9.4.
>
> I'm willing to put the query text, and its replacement, directly into the
extension source code and compile it, but of course something more flexible
would be ideal.

I know of no extension that does this, even if the idea is rather
interesting. I don't remember if there is any hook that would allow such a
thing. But that is definitely interesting.

--
Guillaume.