Re: Queries Per Second (QPS)

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Adam Scott <adam(dot)c(dot)scott(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: postgres performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Queries Per Second (QPS)
Date: 2015-09-27 06:06:24
Lists: pgsql-performance

Le 27 sept. 2015 8:02 AM, "Guillaume Lelarge" <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> a
écrit :

> Le 26 sept. 2015 6:26 PM, "Adam Scott" <adam(dot)c(dot)scott(at)gmail(dot)com> a écrit :
> >
> > How do we measure queries per second (QPS), not transactions per
second, in PostgreSQL without turning on full logging which has a
performance penalty and can soak up lots of disk space?

> The only way I can think of is to write an extension that will execute
some code at the end of the execution of a query.

> Note that this might get tricky. Do you want to count any query? Such as
those in explicit transactions and those in plpgsql functions? People might
not see this your way, which may explain why I don't know of any such
extension.

Thinking about this, such an extension already exists. It's
pg_stat_statements. You need to sum the count column of the
pg_stat_statements from time to time. The difference between two sums will
be your number of queries.