Re: DocBook 5.2

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DocBook 5.2
Date: 2022-09-05 12:15:10
Lists: pgsql-docs

Le lun. 5 sept. 2022 à 13:14, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> a
écrit :

> On 2022-Sep-05, Jürgen Purtz wrote:
>
> > - <sect1 id="xtypes">
> > + <sect1 xml:id="xtypes">
> > <title>User-Defined Types</title>
>
> OK, these seem quite significant changes that are likely to cause great
> pain. So I repeat my question, what are the benefits of making this
> change? They better be very very substantial.

I totally agree with Alvaro.

They will also cause massive pain for translators. There are already some
changes that were pretty bad for me. For example, when all the tables in
func.sgml were modified. In v15, I also remember massive changes on
protocol.sgml. I won't complain if there is a significant benefit for
readers, which is why I didn't complain for func.sgml even if it meant I
had to translate it all over again. But if there's a massive change over
the whole manual for a strictly limited benefit, I guess there won't be
enough motivation for me to translate it all over again.

--
Guillaume.