Re: temporary file log lines

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: MichaelDBA <MichaelDBA(at)sqlexec(dot)com>
Cc: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: temporary file log lines
Date: 2021-07-13 07:29:33
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

Le lun. 12 juil. 2021 à 14:13, MichaelDBA <MichaelDBA(at)sqlexec(dot)com> a écrit :

> hmmm, I think spilling over to disk for temporary tables is handled by
> an entirely different branch in the PG source code. In fact, some other
> folks have chimed in and said log_temp_files doesn't relate to temp
> files at all use by temporary tables, just queries as you mentioned
> below elsewhere. This seems to be a dark area of PG that is not
> convered well.

As far as I know, log_temp_files only relates to sort/hash going to disks,
not to temporary objects (tables and indexes).

But, even if they are, they are definitely distinguishable by name.
Sort/hash temp files are located in pgsql_tmp, and have a specific template
name. Temp files for temporary objects are located in the database
subdirectory, and also have a specific template name, different from the
sort/hash temp files' one.

Regards.