Re: database error xx000?

From: Kenneth Tilton <ktilton(at)mcna(dot)net>
To: dennis jenkins <dennis(dot)jenkins(dot)75(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: database error xx000?
Date: 2012-04-26 20:22:04
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM, dennis jenkins <dennis(dot)jenkins(dot)75(at)gmail(dot)com
> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Kenneth Tilton <ktilton(at)mcna(dot)net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>

>>> Can you produce a self-contained test case?
>>>

>> I doubt it. Every test iteration I run includes a lot of redefining of
>> functions and triggers all over the map, and it works fine thru dozens of
>> iterations. The wheels seem to come off after a serious refactoring.
>> Nothing is needed to clear the problem except (it seems) close any
>> connections to the DB, so I guess some optimization does not work in the
>> face of sufficient dynamic redefinition.
>>

> Suggestion: create a program which attempts to stress-test Postgresql by
> doing similar things. Even if a single test case does not reliably
> reproduce the issue, a stress-test might trigger the condition after some
> time.

I am starting to suspect this does it (having reproduced the problem with
vastly less effort than suspected): with function A calling function B, and
function B coming in several variants (diff params), drop then define A and
then drop/define only one variant of B. Order there may not matter.

I plan anyway to enhance our builder so it knows about function overloading
and rebuilds all variants when it rebuilds one. If the problem goes away
I'll take a crack at creating a reproducible.

Thx for the feedback.

-ken