Re: Slow index creation

From: Paul van der Linden <paul(dot)doskabouter(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Lewis <mlewis(at)entrata(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Slow index creation
Date: 2021-02-17 15:16:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Well, first off it's annoying if I have to change the function and a
reindex afterwards, and secondly, lots of other queries are blocking on
that reindex query (basically everything needing a queryplan on that table).

Materializing is also an option but that too is taking its time.

As far as I know there's no parallelism used currently, and as per
documentation, only creating b-tree indices support parallelism..
Also my postgres installation (on windows) doesn't seem to do anything with
JIT (even after setting all the jit-related values to 0)

I was more trying to get a feeling on where the slowness is, and how to
improve that...