Phantom half-install: How can I remove it completely?

From: Jonathan Hayward <jonathan(dot)hayward(at)pobox(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Phantom half-install: How can I remove it completely?
Date: 2013-01-04 18:56:25
Lists: pgsql-admin

I have been experiencing spooky behavior with Postgres after using the Mac
installer for Postgres. There seems to be an existing half-baked Postgres
installation that was already there and remains there after I deleted the
Mac GUI installer version from /Applications and /Library. Part of the
spooky behavior included being unable after repeated poking and prodding to
get a particular user to authenticate with its behavior--but this makes
sense if I had two parallel Postgres databases, one for which I was
(successfully) setting the user with a particular password, and one which
did not have this database set. Now that that version is uninstalled, I
have a number of Postgres binaries that crash or give errors if I try to
use them:

$ psql
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libpq.5.dylib
Referenced from: /usr/bin/psql
Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap: 5
$

I have not used MacPorts, Fink, or other Unix installers other than
Homebrew in the life of this Mac. Homebrew disclaims ownership of a
Postgres installation:

# ls /usr/local/Cellar | grep -i postgres
#

So however installed, I have a broken Postgres installation that I would
like to wipe completely.

How can I completely wipe Postgres from my system so I can install it with
the installer and have one Postgres installation, instead of a spooky one
and a half installations?

--
[image: Christos Jonathan Hayward] <http://jonathanscorner.com/>
Christos Jonathan Hayward, an Orthodox Christian author.

*Amazon <http://amazon.com/author/cjshayward>* • Author
Bio<http://jonathanscorner.com/author/>
• *Email <christos(dot)jonathan(dot)hayward(at)gmail(dot)com>* •
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/christos.jonathan.hayward>
• Fan Page <http://fan.cjshayward.com/> • Google
Plus<http://jonathanscorner.com/plus>
• LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathanhayward> •
*Professional<http://jonathanhayward.com/>
* • Twitter <http://twitter.com/JonathansCorner> •
*Web<http://jonathanscorner.com/>
* • What's New? <http://jonathanscorner.com/>
If you read just *one* of my books, you'll want *The Best of Jonathan's
Corner <http://www.amazon.com/dp/1478219912>*.