Using different GCC, CFLAGS, CCFLAGS and CPPFLAGS to compile Postgres and PostGIS?

From: postgres user <postgresuser1989(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Using different GCC, CFLAGS, CCFLAGS and CPPFLAGS to compile Postgres and PostGIS?
Date: 2017-02-02 04:34:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I am wondering about this question for a while with no definite answer to
it, can someone explain me in detail to clear me out on the following
question :

What can go wrong or is it acceptable if I build Postgres from source with
let's say GCC 4.x.y and some specific CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS and CCFLAGS and when
I try to install an extension for Postgres such as PostGIS using a
different version of GCC lets say GCC 4.x.z with varying CFLAGS, CCFLAGS
and CPPFLAGS and if I follow the same process for other non-contrib
extensions? I want to know the theory behind this and it would serve me a
great help to understand the systems aspect of the process as well.

Thanks